A Guide to your WordPress Content Management System
How to Login to your CMS site
- Refer to the email sent to you by Cultivate Digital for your username and password
- Type in your website’s address then add a backslash and type in manager (eg. www.yourwebsite.com.au/wp-admin/)
- This brings up the Admin page
- Copy, or type in, your username and password
- Click on Login to enter the CMS.
***3 wrong attempts will lock you out of the site – this will reset within a day and you can login again***
Navigating the CMS system
How to Make a New Page
Making a page
- Click the add new button in the top left area – right next to the Pages title.
- Give the page a title.
- Depending on your wordpress you might just have a blank box to to type in. Others will have a builder like Divi or Elementor. Please read the section on how to edit your website.
- No hit Publish in the top right corner.
Adding your page to a menu
- Click Appreance in the main left area and then Menus.
- Choose the menu you would like to add to, some websites have a top main menu and others also have a footer menu.
- Now tick the page you would like to add from the left menu.
- Click Add to Menu button under this list.
- Drag the new menu link into the correct order if needed.
- Hit the big blue save button in the top right.
How to Edit a Page
- Depending on your website you migth have a blank box to simply type into others will have a builder such as Divi or Elementor.
- If its a simple box simply type or paste your content into here.
- If its a builder you can click the Use builder button and start creating a layout.
- You can normally edit the website on the live preivew. To do this hover your mouse over Your website name in the top left of WordPress and click View website.
- Most builders will have an edit button in the top left.
- Once you are in editing mode simple double click the element you would like to edit.
- A window should pop up with options to change the text, size and other styles.
- We recommend not changing text colours and sizes manually. These normally effect the phone and other website sizes. So always double check your work.
- Hit save and you’re done. The save button can be found at the very bottom of your website in the purple … icon.
Making Links to Websites and Files
- Once your logged in and editing a page or editing via a builder like Divi edit that element you want to change.
- Highlight the text you want to create a link for (click and drag)
- Select the chain link (Insert/Edit Link) in the menu above the content area
- It will bring up an Insert Link pop up box
- URL box: copy and paste in the web address or type it in eg. http://www.yourwebsite.com.au
- Press OK
- Save your page.
- The Target dropdown menu allows you to open the site in another page (eg. To link to another website or a PDF.) If you are linking within your own website leave it as the default “None.”
Inserting a file (a PDF for example.)
- First you need to upload a file. Edit an elment and look for the Add Media button.
- Click it and upload a file, once thats done copy the url as show below. You may need to highlight and copy the text manually.
- Now close this window. Hightlight some text as done previously. Click the chain link icon and paste your files url in here.
- I would recommend setting the target dropdown to new window. This way your pdf for example will open in a new window and the customer wont lose your website.
- You’re done, rememeber to save and test your work.
Editing Images before Uploading
How to Crop and Resize with Free Software.
- Pixlr – free tool to resize and crop images to a professional standard.
- www.pixlr.com or Google ‘free image editing tool’ for similar software.
- Once it has been downloaded, open Pixlr and a New Image box will be present on the screen
- For your banner: Cultivate will provide these dimensions, they will be on your home page, in the Summary (Introtext) box
- Insert the Width then the Height dimensions
- Press OK
- An untitled canvas will appear
- Select File, open Image
- Find the image (banner) that you wish to insert, open
- The image will open in a new box
- Select the Edit tab then Select All (or CTRL A)
- Select Edit tab again and Copy (or CTRL C)
- Click on the blank canvas to ensure it is the front image then select the Edit tab and Paste (or CTRL V)
- The image will either be too small or too big for the canvas. If it is too small, when you stretch it, it may become blurry, in which case you need a bigger & better quality image.
- To shrink or enlarge the image, select the Edit tab then Transform
- Squares will appear in all four corners
- Click and drag until the image is in line with the canvas. Ensure that you hold down the shift button whilst doing this to keep the correct proportions.
- Select the File button and Save.
If there is white canvas present in the background after clicking and dragging to the correct size you can do two things: Find another image that is more proportionate or colour the background to hide it. To colour:
- Select the Eye Dropper from the Tool Bar on the left. Click on the colour you wish to duplicate
- The colour will appear down the bottom of the Tool Box
- Select the Paint Bucket icon and fill the areas that are white and you wish to colour
- Press the File button and Save.
When inserting other images that are not rectangular, you will need to trial different dimensions. For example, it may be 250 x 250 pixels for a square image.
Adding Images (Uploading and Inserting to your CMS)
- Login and go to editior mode.
- Depending on your website builder you should be able to double click a current image or area.
- A window will pop up that looks a bit like the below.
- If you are adding an image to the elements background: Look for background option. Click the current image and replace it by dragging and dropping a new image into your media library.
- Finally hit the blue select button in the bottom right.
- If you are adding an image to a text area simply click in that text box, click where you would like the image to be placed.
- Now click media library, upload the new image by dragging and dropping. Finally hit the blue select button in the bottom right.
- Save and you are done.
Banners and Galleries
The most important thing to remember is you need to have images that are the correct size for the banner.
- Go to your Home page
- Click and select Edit Resource
- The dimensions for your banner will be in in the Summary (Introtext) box
- All of the pictures in the banner must have the same dimensions otherwise they will be disproportionate and fade over the top of each other.
See our Editing Images before Uploading page to crop pictures professionally.
- Hit the Preview button located top right. You will see your website open in another tab
- Click the Manage Pictures icon and Gallery Description will open.
- Scroll down: In the numbered boxes press Choose File and select the image from your computer.
- Insert as many as you need for your fading banner (You are not restricted to the amount of pictures in your fading banner, however it is important to remember your customers – no one will sit through a mountain of images)
- Select Upload Pictures
- Scroll up and select Back to Normal View to see your images on the Preview page.
- YouTube or Vimeo are the best resources to use when uploading a video. This will save on your hosting and download speed.
- You’ll need to get the video url or their embed code.
- Click the Share link (under the video) in YouTube for example and pick embed copy this code.
- Edit Resource (eg. About Us)
- Navigate to the Resource Content box
- Click the text tab next to visual tab.
- Paste the code somewhere in this area- where you think it will look best.
- Save changes.