How do I improve my conversions?
The short answer: make your site faster.
I recently read this great article and I thought I should share some of the stats with you:
- +3% conversions for every second reduced from 15 seconds to 7 seconds
- +2% conversions for every second reduced from seconds 7 to 5
- +1% conversions for every second reduced from seconds 4 to 2
You can now see the huge benefit of spending a hour or so and optimise your images and files.
The tricky question is when should you stop. Some of the more designer type sites like photographers and artists need to balance this information with quality. As thats what their clientèle will look at. While plumbers and mechanics can really push the limits and compress their images and files right down.
A must watch video on web psychology
4 quick tips to improve your website
- WWUD. Make “What Will Users Do”.
When writting your text whether it be for your site or newsletter or even your blog. Ask your self, will my customers like this? You might find it interesting but will they? Then ask – what will they do next? Do you need a link to a form or phone number?
- Question taxonomy. Really think about your sites page structure. Have you just thrown a heap of content up. Or have you organised it into pages and groups that make sense to your target audience. Try naming pages after your target audience. Like “new home owner? – click here” “Are you a small business?”
- Answer questions. What kind of questions are your customers asking? Make sure you answer them clearly. Do they need to see price or do they need to see the quality of work you do?
- Test and refine. Grab Google analytics and find your worst performing pages. Write some new text and images – keep a backup of the old text – then give it a month to see if there is an improvement. Rinse and repeat.
Questions and Answers
Q: How long until I see my website in Google?
A: Google, as you can imagine receives hundreds of websites per day.
If your website has just gone live then the best way is to have your site linked in a folio, facebook or someother trusted website. This can cut down the waiting time to 3-6 weeks. But your site will only pop up for general keywords like your business name and maybe a few suburbs.
If you have a paid SEO package per month this can be quicker again. General wait time to a page one ranking for more general terms can be 3mths. This would be for keywords with much larger searches which will bring in more customers.